BODYPUMP™ is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This 60-minute workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls. Great music, awesome instructors and your choice of weight inspire you to get the results you came for – and fast! Like all the Les Mills™ programs, a new BODYPUMP™ class is released every three months with new music and choreography.
A typical BODYPUMP™ class
BODYPUMP™ is designed to improve strength and endurance in the major muscle groups and, in doing so, burn calories. We use carefully chosen music tracks to guide you through the class with maximum effect. The usual length of each class is 60 minutes.
- BODYPUMP™ begins with a warm-up to get your body moving, using light weights only.
- Your instructor will then guide you through the main part of the workout, focusing on each of the major muscle groups, including your chest, back, shoulders, and abdominals. We’ve got all the important muscles covered, and we guarantee you’ll be feeling the burn by the time you’re on to the cool down.
- Lastly, down tempo music will accompany you while you stretch your muscles out to finish the workout and help reduce the risk of muscle soreness or injury.
- Burn up to 600 calories per class for fat loss
- Improve your strength
- Improve your general fitness
- Shape and tone your muscles
- Improve your bone density (helps ward off osteoporosis)
- Come away feeling strong and confident
Our top tips for doing BODYPUMP™ safely:
- Good posture is the foundation of all exercise, so focus on getting your technique right from the beginning. Check out Learn the Moves for more specific advice.
- Don’t overdo it with the weights – remember that BODYPUMP™ uses high repetition to tone and strengthen. Start gradually increasing them after six weeks.
- Look after your joints by always keeping them slightly bent – not locked – and perform the movements smoothly.
How often should I take a BODYPUMP™ class?
Your muscles will feel a little sore after your first BODYPUMP™ class, but keep at it. It’ll get easier, we promise! After your first few classes we recommend a maximum of two to three classes a week. Remember, your body needs recovery time between workouts, so rest for at least one day between classes.
What do I need to bring?
- Comfortable workout clothes. Check out the Les Mills clothing range, designed with each of our classes in mind.
- Gym shoes. We recommend cross-trainers over running shoes, because they’ll give you better foot support for the types of movement you’ll be doing in class.
- Drink bottle.
BODYPUMP™ at X Shadyside Health and Fitness
X Shadyside Health and Fitness has certified BODYPUMP™ instructors teaching BODYPUMP™ classes regularly. Check our class schedule so you can join us for the next class!